Subject Leader – Kerry Dickenson
Curriculum Intent Statement for English
We aim for all pupils to:
- To develop lifelong readers that can access their local community and reach for aspirational life journey.
- For the pupils to be exposed to a range of varied texts, demonstrating understanding.
- To share books with others developing reading skills.
- To develop the skills to record personal information (name and address).
- To be able to read to their ability lead.
- To develop a love of reading.
- To engage with texts and be able to retell a range of stories.
- To recognise and access symbols
- To anticipate/participate in sensory stories.
- To read/recognise their name and identify a wide range of symbols in the environment.
- By Year 6 our pupils will be able to express their thoughts and have a love for writing.
- For them to be able to edit and improve their own writing.
- To build on the skills of writing, forming letters and using grammar, punctuation and spelling.
All children will learn:
- To order/write their name
- To develop letter formation.
- To access writing and understand its purpose
- To be able to write complete sentences with correct grammar and punctuation.
- To develop letter formation